What Is An SEO Audit?
Simply: a digital marketing company uses audit tools to find improvements you can make to make your site (the site’s individual pages, technically) more attractive to Google.
To audit your SEO, it’s important to focus on four areas:
Let’s take a closer look…
IN A RUSH?! Click for our <90 second snapshot
Technical SEO Website Audit
Technical is the area where it all begins. The SEO website audit checks to make sure the site is running properly, and check accessibility and indexability.
- Accessibility – This is considered the top priority. If done correctly, no one will have issues accessing and moving around the website.
- Indexability – Whether or not the website crawled by the search engine. Optimizing this will improve the site’s performance.
OnPage SEO Audit
The OnPage SEO audit deals with how the content looks on the website. This is pretty general, but during the SEO website audit, any problems with the content are fixed. Quick fixes include:
- Unique Titles. These have to be unique for each page. Tells your reader what the page is about. Each title is between 50-65 characters.
- URL Structure. URL’s should be clean and unique for every page and formatted the correct way. For example, a good format is www.greaturl.com/this-is-how-a-url-is-formatted.com. This looks great in the search engines but also makes it easier for people to find your pages organically. Be sure to have your keyword included in your URL.
- Description Tag. Should be between 150 – 160 characters. It’s crucial that you’re not stuffing keywords into the description tag.
- Content Length. This has been discussed at length, but it’s always best to have content that’s long, at at least 500 words. If your content is less than that, there’s a chance it
Having quality content is the biggest part of ranking better than other websites. Copyscape is an SEO audit tool used to check the uniqueness of each page, and to check for duplicate or plagiarized content.
Having plain text won’t work. Each page is properly formatted with the H1 (Title), and multiple H2’s (subheadings). Use bold, italics, and lists when needed.
Google Analytics finds your most popular pages. These pages are entirely free of spelling mistakes, grammar issues, wrong information, or incorrectly formatted content.
Redirect Similar Pages:
With duplicate or similar pages, the 301 redirect is used to direct your readers to the popular page. Everything on the site should be fresh to improve rankings. While posting every day is not needed, a regular schedule is recommended.
Another important SEO website audit task is using internal linking. Most people create content but don’t link to their website. Not only is this helpful to your readers, but search engines will take notice. Each page should have at least two internal links, but no more than 10.
While on the topic of links, check for broken links. Broken links is a horrible user experience. There are multiple tools to use when checking external links. The other option is the “raw errors” report on Google. 301 redirects are the best and easiest way to fix broken links.
Images add a high-quality look to your page while making it easier to read. During the SEO website audit, there are three things to check:
- Filenames describe what your image is. Keywords can be used.
- Every single image needs an ALT tag description.
- Every image is compressed to the smallest size.
Off-Page SEO Website Audit
Once you have fixed everything on your page, it’s time to focus on the off-page edit. The off-page edits check the results to see the website’s popularity. During this time, we’ll check to see whether or not people are linking to, and which websites have your links. The more websites that link to your site, the more trustworthy it’s considered.
Competitive Keyword Audit
Now, it’s time to do the competitive analysis or keyword research. Using the most popular keywords won’t work. It’s important to think about the popularity of the keyword and the traffic.
- Level of difficulty – Checks how the keyword ranks.
- Traffic – Shows how many people are searching for it.
The goal is to rank in the middle to beat the competitors and increase traffic. So how is this done? There are two options:
- Difficulty level: Medium
- Traffic: High
- Difficulty level: Low
- Traffic: Medium
Importance Of An SEO Website Audit
Carrying out an SEO website audit is crucial to the success of your website and business. Why crucial? It means you’ll see the areas where work can be done to win a better search ranking, meaning more traffic and potential customers for your site.
Here’s a FREE SEO Audit you can perform yourself: Click here
Our FREE ProfileTree knowledge archive… Our essential SEO and SEO Audit guides… Ranking Words for SEO Nerds | SEO Techniques | SEO Hosting | SEO Checker | SEO Strategy | SEO Report| YouTube SEO Tips | Top Free SEO Tools | SEO Checklist | Get to know SEO | How to do an SEO Audit
Unmissable QUICK READ What Is? guides… Keyword | Content | Content Marketing | YouTube Monitization | Google Search | Google Ranking | Google Analytics | Google Assistant | Google Index | Google Hangouts | Google Play | Google Advanced Image Search | Google My Business | Google Drive | Keyword | Google+ | Google Sheets | Online Advertising | Mobile Marketing | Inbound Marketing | Content Marketing