How to Learn Digital Marketing
In a market that is becoming increasingly dependent on the internet, digital marketing is quickly growing to be one of the most important skills in today’s workforce. Even stores which have traditionally relied on brick-and-mortar locations are turning to e-commerce to move a large percentage of their product, and the vast majority of new startups must rely on digital marketing to build their brand. With e-commerce becoming the new face of the world market, deciding to learn digital marketing is now a lucrative career choice.
|SEE ALSO: Digital Marketing Channels|
As with any career path, however, there are a number of routes you can take to learn digital marketing. To better inform you about what the world of digital marketing entails, here are some of the ins and outs of entering the field:
Getting a Digital Marketing Diploma
One of the best ways to learn digital marketing is to get a degree in the field. Since digital marketing has taken off, universities across the world have quickly been catching up with the demands of the workforce and are now offering digital marketing as an undergraduate degree. Some advantages to pursuing a degree in digital marketing as opposed to trying to learn digital marketing on your own or take a single course in digital marketing are:
- A degree in digital marketing offers an in-depth study of the field. Some classes will be general, while others will be very specifically targeted towards a certain aspect of the subject. Put it all together and a degree in digital marketing means you will have a very broad and comprehensive knowledge of the subject that you can apply toward advancing your career.
- Learning in a classroom certainly has its drawbacks, but studying under a professor who is an expert in the field is still one of the most effective ways to learn any subject, digital marketing included.
- Getting a degree in digital marketing from a reputable university will provide you with access to resources you may not be able to find on your own. These resources include software, technology, and even human resources such as classmates and faculty who can help you with any questions you may have.
- If moving off to a university isn’t practical for you, getting your degree online may be the perfect choice. Many esteemed universities now offer online enrollment, and digital marketing is one of the many degrees you can earn without ever having to step foot into a physical classroom.
Going back to school to get a digital marketing diploma isn’t for everyone. It’s an expensive and time consuming process that is a huge commitment for anyone to undertake. However, if you are looking for the best, most comprehensive possible education in digital marketing, pursuing a degree in digital marketing is the way to go.
Taking a Digital Marketing Course
If getting a degree in digital marketing isn’t the choice for you, never fear. There are other much more affordable and much less time-consuming ways to learn digital marketing. One of these ways is to take a single course on the subject. Rather than taking all of the classes required to get a degree in the field, taking one or more digital marketing courses allows you to cherry-pick which topics you want to learn and customize your education around your own schedule, budget, and areas of interest.
Digital marketing courses can be taken from the same universities that offer a degree in digital marketing as well as many universities that may not offer digital marketing as a degree but still have several classes on the subject. Advantages of taking a digital marketing course include:
- You will have much less of a time commitment. While taking even a single course is still going to require you to adjust your schedule a little bit and make room for an extra workload, it doesn’t compare to the time commitment involved with getting a degree and is much easier for someone already in the workforce to accomplish.
- The ability to select as many or as few courses as you want in whatever focuses you choose gives you a lot of freedom as to what aspects of digital marketing you want to learn. You can get a general, broad education in digital marketing or you can become an expert in a single focus area such as SEO or content marketing. The choice is entirely yours.
- While having taken a single course in digital marketing doesn’t afford you the same credentials as having a degree in the subject, it still looks good on a resume and is a great way to set yourself apart in the workforce. If you are self-employed or an entrepreneur wanting to learn digital marketing to advance your own startup, having the credentials isn’t the most important thing anyway, and taking a one or more courses in digital marketing will likely give you all the knowledge on the subject you need to succeed.
The ability to take a single digital marketing course offers a lot of flexibility to professionals who don’t have the time or desire to pursue a degree in the subject. For many, taking a single course (or a few select courses) is the perfect solution to learn digital marketing without having to significantly interrupt their busy lives.
What do you Learn in Digital Marketing?
Getting a digital marketing diploma or taking a digital marketing course are all well and good, but just what can you expect to learn if you choose to further your digital marketing education? The answer depends on your focus and where you are taking your courses, but some of the broad subjects you can expect to be covered include:
As could be expected, digital marketers operate in a digital world. As such, it’s important to have at least a basic understanding of computer coding and HTML in order to make setting up new web adverts and websites a cinch. It won’t be anything as in-depth as what you would study as a software developer, but it’s still a fundamental part of digital marketing.
Everything on the internet is driven by search engines such as Google. If the ads and product pages you are creating aren’t being found by Google and shown near the top of the search results, they are never going to be seen. That’s why it is essential to create content that is designed to be discovered through Search Engine Optimization (SEO). If you pursue an education digital marketing, SEO will be one of the most important things you learn.
Basic Marketing Strategy
Just because digital marketing takes place online doesn’t mean that the fundamentals of marketing change as soon as you log on. You will still need to know how to attract attention, instill desired emotions, and convince people to turn over their hard-earned money. For these reasons, it’s essential for a digital marketer to know basic marketing strategy and learn some of the techniques that marketers have been using long before the internet came along.
We live in a world where people have grown tired of being advertised to. While traditional ads are still effective, people are saturated with them and more often than not simply ignore them. To gain their attention again, many digital marketers have turned to disguising their ads in the form of content that the viewer will actually enjoy and pay attention to—content marketing. Whether your content is text, audio, or video, you will need to have a good grasp of content marketing in order to succeed in digital marketing
Digital marketing is a vastly growing field with a number of career opportunities. Best of all, there are a variety of ways to learn digital marketing, giving you plenty of choices as to how you want to advance your education in the subject. Whether you choose to pursue a degree in digital marketing or take a single digital marketing course, it will be a choice that will pay dividends in the years to come.