As a business owner, one of the most critical decisions you can make is selecting a website design company to complete an important project. Not only will the design company be responsible for the success of the project, but they will also have an impact on the future of your business. Therefore, it is important that you don’t take the process of hiring a website design agency lightly.
You should view a web design firm as one of your marketing partners. The web design firm you choose to work with will design your website. This website will play a major role in the success of your company when it comes to your online marketing goals and objectives. Whether you’re having a new website designed from scratch or you’re having major changes made to your existing website, your hiring decision will determine the success of the website.
As you probably know, there are many web design companies out there. Whether you’re searching for a web design firm online or locally, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the task of choosing the right firm for your business. If you want to make the best choice, it is important that you have a thorough hiring process. You should treat the process of choosing a web design company the same as the process of hiring an employee. Therefore, you should conduct interviews, request portfolios, check references, and review the performance results of different web design companies.
Questions to Ask Before Hiring Web Design Companies
Take advantage of initial consultation to ask as many questions as possible and get a feel for the business. To help you select the best web design company for your firm, here are 10 questions you should ask before hiring a firm.
1. How much will the services cost you?
If you’re hiring a web design company, you will be paying for a professional service. You can expect to work with an entire team of experts to help you plan, develop, design, and manage the project.
- Who will you be working with on your project?
- What are the qualifications of your team members?
- How much time will each team member dedicate to the project?
- Will you pay a flat price for the project? Will this flat price be decided beforehand?
- Is the cost of the project reasonable for the services you will be receiving?
- How will you be charged for extra features outside of the scope of the project?
2. What is the track record of the web design firm?
While it is important for you to know how much the services of a web design firm will cost, you also want to know whether the web design firm is reliable in the first place. The last thing you want is to lack confidence in the team handling your project. If you pick a web design firm with a good track record, you can expect a good return on investment for the project.
- What clients has the web design firm worked with in the past?
- What results has the firm delivered for these clients?
- Is there data available to prove the results of the firm?
- Does the firm have many repeat clients?
3. How does the web design firm measure their results?
When evaluating the results of a web design firm, you should know how the firm measured the results in the first place. This information will provide you with the context necessary to properly evaluate the firm’s results.
- Does the firm measure their results in terms of keyword rankings, bounce rate, conversions, or traffic?
- Have the clients verified the results? Are the results published publicly?
- Is there data to support and substantiate the results of the firm?
4. What core services does the web design firm?
You should work with a web design firm that has the talent and ability to effectively manage and complete your project. No aspect of your project should get the shaft. Therefore, you need to know whether the firm you choose to work with will be able to meet your expectations when it comes to design, marketing, and development.
- Is the web design firm able to offer development, marketing services, and comprehensive design that meets industry standards?
- Is the firm capable of developing a mobile app that is consistent with all of the marketing platforms of the brand?
- Does the firm have experience with custom projects that require advanced coding and the ability to problem solve?
- Are they able to develop mobile applications that are consistent with all of a brand’s marketing platforms?
5. Does the firm have any qualifications or credentials?
The web design firm you hire should be well-respected in the web design industry.
- Is the firm a key player in the web design industry? Is the firm viewed as a thought leader?
- What is the Dun & Bradstreet rating of the web design? Does the firm have a good track record for client satisfaction?
- Does the web design firm have the authorisation to work with government agencies? What special credentials does the web design have?
6. What is the operation of the web design firm like?
Before you hire a web design firm, you should have a good idea of the firm’s operation. Take the time to visit the firm’s operation and meet the people who will be working on your project face-to-face.
- Does the firm employ professionals full-time? Does the firm rely on independent contractors or outsourcing for their projects?
- Do the staff members appear to be experienced, skilled, and trustworthy? Do you get a good vibe from the staff members?
- Is the operation of the web design firm efficient? Is the operation of the firm compatible with the operation of your own business?
7. How will the web design firm ensure the project is executed well?
You want to hire a web design firm that will follow coding standards to a T. Therefore, you should know how the web design firm will ensure that your project is executed properly and as intended.
- Will you own the work the web design firm produces? Will you have complete access to the work? Will you need to pay a licensing fee to use the work?
- Does the agreement state that the web design firm will do the coding according to all industry standards? Does the agreement promise that the work will be customized appropriately for your needs?
8. How large is the company? What is the structure of the company?
A team that is small may cause you to encounter issues with the completion of your project. Some issues you may run into due to a small team include delays, company closures, and the lack of adequate expertise. However, if you’re working with a team that is excessively large, inefficiency and lack of personal care or service are potential issues. Therefore, it is important that you are aware of the size of the web design firm.
- How does the firm go about planning and developing a website? Is the methodology appropriate for your project?
- Is there is a manager that will walk you through the entire process of completing the project?
- Are you confident that the web firm is stable enough to provide your business with excellent service in the future for maintenance, edits, and scaling to account for growth?
- Will they plan your website based on the goals and objectives you have for your business?
9. How does the web design firm staff individual projects?
In order to build a website, a professional team, an experienced project manager, and concrete objectives are necessary. A team for a web design project requires web designers for the user interface, information architects to plan out the website, web developers for coding, quality assurance engineers for testing, and online marketers to create an effective strategy for online marketing. The entire team should work under the guidance of a project manager to ensure the success of the project.
- How big is the team working on your project?
- Who will be accountable for your project?
- Will you receive updates on the status of your project? How frequently will the team communicate with you?
- Will you play a role in leading the project? Will, the team look to you to guide them?
10. Is the company financially stable?
You want a web design firm that is financially stable to manage your project. That way, you will have someone to turn to in the future when you want edits or maintenance. If a company is not financially stable, they may not be around when you need them.
- Who is the owner of the company? Who are the key officers of the company?
- Is the team motivated to do a good job on all projects?
- What is the financial strength of the company? Will the company be able to survive without projects for an extended period of time?
Ideally, your new website should help you achieve the objectives and goals you have for your business. Therefore, it is important that you select a good web design firm to help you with your project. For more information about questions you should ask before hiring a web design firm, don’t hesitate to contact us.