Guide to Flipping Websites for Profit
Believe it or not, online websites are a form of real estate. Just as there are many opportunities to make millions of dollars by buying and selling homes, there is huge potential for profit by buying and selling websites. In fact, it is far easier to break into the business of buying and selling websites because the capital requirements are far lower.
If you’re thinking about growing your wealth over the next few years by investing in online real estate, this guide should help you learn the basics of buying and flipping websites.
Guide to Flipping Websites for Profit
When people think of house flipping, they often imagine married couples that make their living by purchasing old homes, renovating them, and then selling the homes for a profit of $20,000 to $50,000. Hypothetically, these couples then repeat the process a few times every year to make enough money to live on. While there are some similarities between house flipping and website flipping, there are also many key differences. Namely, you should not expect website flipping to be as glamorous as house flipping.
Website flipping began when entrepreneurs were inspired by the concept of house flipping and decided to apply it to another area. A good entrepreneur will find a business that is underperforming and purchase it. The entrepreneur will then use their skills and knowledge to improve the performance of the business and then sell it for a nice profit. Flipping websites and businesses is not easy at all and requires a substantial amount of diligence and research. However, the rewards can make the amount of effort put in more than worthwhile.
The Basics of Flipping Websites
Of course, the idea of buying and selling businesses for profit is appealing to many entrepreneurs. However, buying a website or business can be very costly. Therefore, many entrepreneurs have a hard time getting started. If you make the wrong decision, you may lose a significant amount of money. Of course, the same is true when it comes to real estate and the stock market. Therefore, you want to be certain of your ability and skills before you make an investment.
The Internet is still relatively new and the online commerce industry is still growing at a rapid pace. Therefore, it should come to no surprise that the vast majority of business owners have poor websites online. Other people have incredibly popular websites but are not taking advantage of the significant amount of traffic by monetising the website. Some are ignorant of the benefits of monetising a website while others choose not to monetise their website by choice. Profiting from a website can be easy as starting an AdSense campaign on a popular website after purchasing it from the owner. If you purchase an eCommerce website, you may need to do some search engine marketing or make changes to your AdWords campaign to make a profit.
Advantages of Purchasing Websites
The main advantage of purchasing a website is that you don’t have to work on establishing an audience. You also don’t have to wait for search engines to index the website. The vast majority of webmasters understand the advantages of link exchanges. Even if you buy a website that is poorly managed, it will likely have a back link network of some sort. Even if the website is not a top ten search result, the website will still be ready for you to improve and optimise.
If you buy a mature site, you won’t have to deal with the Google sandbox. This is a major advantage of buying web property that is already established. Of course, the amount of profit you can make from a website will depend on what stage the website is at when you take it over. You should also keep in mind that the price of the website will reflect how much profit the initial owner expects you to receive from the website. A website will a readership of 100,000 people will cost you far more than a website with a readership of just 10,000 people.
Top Website Acquisition Strategies
Before you start your search for a website to acquire, you should think about what type of website you want to purchase and what changes you intend to make to the website. You don’t want to purchase websites that won’t mesh with your web business strategy. Here are a few of the top website acquisition strategies to consider when searching for a new website to purchase.
- Purchase a website that receives targeted traffic for a service or product that you already offer. You will be able to use sales pages, advertising, and email lists to direct traffic from the website you purchase to your products and services. Buying a website is an easy and effective way to establish a customer base for your products and services. However, you need to be certain that the traffic that the website receives is quality. You don’t want to buy a website that doesn’t attract the type of users who would buy your products or services. High traffic websites consume a lot of bandwidth. Therefore, it is always possible that you will buy a liability rather than an asset when it comes to high traffic websites.
- Buy a website that will help you generate revenue for advertising. You may not make many changes to your new website besides boosting the amount of traffic that it receives and improving the performance of any advertisements on the website. Websites that have a lot of good content that is poorly optimized are ideal if you want to employ this strategy. Once you have the rights to all of the content, you can republish the content in other ways that are more effective. For example, you can use the content for article marketing or as information products. You could also give away access to the content for free to entice users to join your email list.
- Purchase websites to flip it immediately. When it comes to flipping websites, this strategy is probably the most risky. This is because you will need to find websites that are obviously underperforming. The more potential that a website has, the less risky he venture will be. Once you renovate the website, you may be able to sell it quickly for a handsome profit. You should look for eCommerce websites that are selling products that have a market that is still in the works of becoming established. You should also look for eCommerce websites run by owners who are not good at online marketing or search engine optimization. These owners tend to be far more willing to sell their website.
- Consider buying a website that is driven by its community. For example, you can make a lot of money from a website that has a massive forum. These websites are usually created by hobbyists. Therefore, the aim of these websites is usually not profit. At some point, such websites may attract so much traffic that the bandwidth will be costing the owners a significant amount of money. If the owners aren’t skill in monetization, they may be interested in selling the website. This strategy is a great way to make a significant amount of advertising revenue. However, you need to be careful to analyze the audience of a website before you make a purchase. Some forum communities can be very difficult to profit from.
- Try to look for websites that are operating in a popular keyword or niche. You can also look for websites operating in a niche that you believe will become popular soon. Search engine traffic is largely based on keywords. Therefore, if you have a knack for picking out trends before they even become trends, you stand to profit substantially. If you suspect that a trend will become popular soon, start buying related websites now before they become overpriced and mainstream.
- Purchase websites to eliminate or team up with the competition. You can purchase a competing website or negotiate for a merger to create a larger business. The effectiveness of this strategy depends largely on the industry in which you are operating. Website hosting is one example of an industry in which this strategy has proven to be very effective.
- In some cases, you may want to purchase a website just for the domain name. If you buy a website only for the domain name, you shouldn’t care much about the website content. For example, if you had purchase the blog.com or apple.com a few decades ago, you would have certainly made a handsome profit. Sometimes, the address is the most valuable part of a website. If you suspect that a website has a valuable website, you should get your hands on the website and wait to see what happens in the future.
You can buy websites and make a considerable profit as long as you play your cards right when it comes to flipping websites. Simply follow the tips discussed above and be dedicated to growing your new website and you should be able to sell it for a handsome profit within a few years.